COLLEGE AVENUE CAMPUS RESTORATION – 2018 LECTURE SERIES
FEBRUARY 6 @ 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
The Artesian 2627 13th Avenue
Join Heritage Consultant Donald Luxton for an illustrated talk on the historic College Avenue Campus, including its history, decline and current renewal. The history of the site dates back to the establishment of Regina College in 1911, the subsequent construction of Darke Hall and the establishment of the University of Regina. Long neglected, this significant Collegiate Gothic campus is undergoing a comprehensive five-year rehabilitation that will result in a complete renewal, including its historic interior spaces. This talk will cover all aspects of the project including the work completed to date, and that anticipated over the next three years.
Donald Luxton is the principal of a leading western Canadian heritage and cultural resource management firm, and over the last thirty years his wide-ranging career has included the development of municipal planning programs, the restoration of numerous heritage buildings and the development of many significant cultural facilities. Donald’s expertise, interest and accomplishments as an author, educator and practitioner have been recognized and acknowledged through numerous awards, including the Heritage Canada Achievement Award in 2003 and a number of literary prizes including a BC Book Prize in 2004.
He is currently acting as the Heritage Consultant for the College Avenue Renewal.
Refreshments provided. A $10 suggested donation to Heritage Regina goes towards the promotion and preservation of heritage in your community.
Presented by Don Luxton.
Polly in yellow dress
This beautiful doll is made of fine china, with brown hair, a yellow bonnet, and eyes that could open and close. Her yellow organdy dress is adorned with a black velvet ribbon decorated with pink flowers. White stockings and black boots complete her outfit.
This toy doll was donated to the museum in 1982 by Charles Morton.
The popularity of elaborate fashion dolls such as Polly necessitated a need for experts to repair them. Beginning in the 1830’s several “doll hospitals” opened across Europe. These employed specialists who could fix the beloved toys.